Sunday, February 27, 2011

5 minutes in heaven

I've been LOVING the nurdy-glam look for a while now...  I think it's super cute to have full makeup on, with a pair of slammin' fat frames.  I had to convince my husband that I was endangering my life while driving if I didn't have these glasses (they're like the smallest prescription ever) as a [additional] birthday present, but I think the minor white lie was worth it, no??

Said Fat Frames


What's also great about glasses?  It can camouflage tired eyes and/or minimal makeup; which brings me to answering a request I've received from frazzled mums, and busy working ladies...  What would be the best way to do a FAST makeup look?  I.e. The 5 Minute Face.

It's not hard...  If you're running late, you can still put your face together in a way that allows a polished impression!  It takes a few minutes, and you will be glad you did it when you encounter an inevitable  mirror.  Here she is, stripped down to the essentials with some estimated times by moi:

  1. Moisturize your skin (30 seconds):  DO IT.  As we know, I'm an obsessor of The Youth by Bliss, sometimes with a couple of drops of Jojoba Oil mixed in 
  2. Apply a base to even out your skin (1 minute):  It really is important to apply a foundation; even if it's just a tinted moisturizer, it will take you from sloppy to polished.  Some of my favourite options, depending on the amount of coverage that you prefer are as follows:
    1. Laura Mercier Oil Free Tinted Moisturizer or You Rebel by Benefit (for minimal - medium coverage) applied with your fingers or a Makeup forever 55N brush
    2. Laura Mercier Pressed Mineral Powder or Bare Escentuals Original Foundation (sheer to full coverage...  It's buildable) applied with a Kabuki Brush
    3. Makeup Forever HD Invisible Cover Foundation applied with a Makeup Forever 55N brush
  3. Conceal under your eyes, and in areas that need a lil' extra coverage (45 seconds):  This is such an important step for us tired ladies!!!  Use the concealer technique I've described to ensure you are highlighting and camouflaging the right areas.  A couple of my top picks include:
    1. Revlon Age Defying Moisturizing Concealer applied with your finger
    2. Makeup forever Camouflage Cream Palette applied with your finger  ** with this concealer, you have to ensure your under eye area is well moisturized - it will last forever and gives great coverage
  4. Bronze it up - in a non-dirt bag way (45 seconds):  This step adds dimension, warmth, and a healthy glow to your face.  Don't skip it! I like a matte bronzer usually, but if I'm feeling tired and sallow, sometimes the right amount of shimmer (NOT SPARKLE) in a bronzer can be a good thing.  My products of choice include:
    1. Matte Bronzers:  Scott Barnes Pressed Bronzing Powder in St. Tropez and Guerlain Terracotta 4 Seasons Bronzer applied with a fluffy brush
    2. For a slight shimmer:  Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick Compact in bronze or Beige applied with a fluffy brush
  5. Mascara your lashes (2 minutes)!!  So I've allocated the most time for this step because I want you to get in the habit of putting on more than one coat on the top and bottom lashes!!  Whatever mascara you want, or have, DO IT!  Mascara opens your eyes, makes you look more awake, and adds a flirtyness to the eyes.  Don't EVER skip mascara!!!
So there's your 5 minutes face!  In the car, at a red light (admittedly I have been guilty of makeup-ing while driving, but moving to Houston, being surrounded by these crazy angry drivers has changed that bad habit) , slam on some gloss or lipstick, and you are ready to wow anyone that's lucky enough to cross your path!

Ooooooh!  News flash!  Gary Miller from Red photo Photography has posted a couple of photos from Friday's Crown Plaza shoot here!  Woohoo!!  More to come soon!

xo T

No comments:

Post a Comment